Since 2008 Bixby Police Department has put on a Citizens Police Academy each year. The Citizens Police Academy is free of charge and is designed to introduce citizens to the everyday life of a police officer. Some of the topics covered during this academy will be Patrol Tactics, Domestic Disturbances, Criminal Investigations, Narcotics Identification and Traffic Accident Investigations. The student will also have the opportunity to obtain a certificate of completion for the Self Defense Act (Concealed Carry) portion of the training. The Bixby Police Department will be hosting its 9th annual Citizens Police Academy beginning in August 2016. The Academy will consist of 1 night a week for 10 weeks; each class will be approximately 2 hours. Applications can be picked up at the Bixby Police Department located at 116 W. Needles in Bixby.
The requirements for eligibility in the Bixby Citizens Police Academy are as follows:
- Must be 21 or older
- Possess a valid Driver License
- Be able to pass a criminal background check
- Cannot have a protective order against you
- No felony convictions
The rules for participating in the Bixby Citizens Police Academy include, but are not limited
- Mandatory attendance to first class or your application is rescinded
- Mandatory attendance to gun safety class in order to participate in firing range class
- Ninety percent (90%) attendance
- Punctuality is a must (we have very little time)
- Class participation/attention required
- Attention and respect to all Staff and Instructors (unnecessary disruptions or disrespect will be cause for removal)
To print an application click here.
For other questions click here.